Victoria Payne and VS Red Chocolatecake
1) When and where did you first see your roan, how did you end up with him as yours, and how long have you owned your roan?
I first saw Coco at an AQHA show in PA at the State Fair grounds. My trainer, Kelly Woodlief was catch riding her in a futurity for another trainer, Ed Weber. I wanted another hunt seat horse and Kelly later said to me "I've got the horse for you." I think she had a good gut feeling about it, and she was right. I bought her from Tricia Zinkhann and have owned her for almost 4 years now, I believe.
2) Where, what level, and in what classes do you show your roan?
I show her in Select Hunter Under Saddle and Select Equitation in and around North Carolina where I live, also neighboring states - SC, TN, VA, WV, PA, MD. We were Reserve Champion in the AQHA Level 1 Championship Equitation last year, also third in Select Equitation at the Congress last year, as well as a finalist in the Select Hunter Under Saddle.
3) What is your favorite thing to do with your roan horse?
I love showing her. She is not only a very sweet, loving horse but incredibly sensible with a really good head on her shoulders, very intelligent.
4) What is your favorite memory with your roan horse?
Placing at the Congress last year is one of my favorite memories. It was my first Congress and Coco's second.
5) What are your thoughts about the American Roan Horse Association?
It's very exciting to have an organization recognizing roan horses. I'm looking forward to more roan classes at future horse shows and would love to show at the Roan World Show one day.